Thursday, October 16, 2008

Visit to Duke University


As part of required continuing education I took in the annual Pastor's Convocation at Duke University, where I went to seminary 25 years ago. The center of Duke's campus really isn't the basketball stadium, but the chapel. The chapel was the first building planned and the last completed of the original buildings in the 1930s and is a magnificent, soaring Gothic church, towering 210 feet in the air over the campus. Duke is one of the 13 official United Methodist seminaries and over the years since I was there has grown in students, programs and resources. I noticed only a few teachers were still there from my time those years ago, but I was pleased to note that one of the professors now is Bishop (retired) Ken Carder, who served Church Street UMC, here in Knoxville, another soaring Gothic style church.

No comments: